Review: Mamonde Big Eye mascara
First up is Mamonde Big Eye mascara. Mamonde is a Korean brand which is a lower priced range. It’s mostly found in Aritaum shops (along with Laneige and skincare brand like IOPE) and independent small cosmetics shops. This is a newish mascara which was released about 6 months ago. I picked up a couple of tubes after getting a text message from Aritaum saying they were doing a “2 for 1” deal on it. It’s cheap anyway (₩6200) so 2 for 1 made it a bona fide bargain.
Except it’s not all that. The disappointment I felt with this mascara actually made me sad. I love to champion the cheap and cheerful in make-up. Although my lemmings tend to drift towards the department store and high end, I’m just as happy rummaging around for beauty gems in dusty bargain bins like a hog sniffing out truffles. I also love a good gimmicky brush and Big Eye mascara has a rubbery comb like wand with bristles.
- holds a curl well
- no smudge, long lasting, no flaking
- removed easily with cleansing oil
- cheap as chips
- no volume
- a leeeeetle bit extra length but not very noticeable
- dries too quickly for me – this is known as “playtime” i.e. the time you have after applying a product to blend or manipulate before it sets and dries. I like to layer my mascara and push it around a bit with a lash comb. Big Eye sets too fast so you won’t be able to put on more than two coats before it dries and starts clumping.
- Comb applicator doesn’t brush through and separate lashes efficiently and feels bulky and cumbersome.
My main gripe is the lack of playtime in the formula. I do think this mascara would be good for people who apply mascara very lightly and like a natural defined look. After a quick curl with a lash curler and one coat of this mascara you get a very natural but pretty separated look. However that’s not me, as I like to whack on the warpaint so alas, this lovely cheap mascara is a no-buy from me.
For better pictures (and to see it in action) please check out this link to a Korean reviewer. She has very closeup before and afters on her lashes which illustrate my point.
Rating: 2 out of 5.